06 May 2007

Ever heard of Prolog? Go, learn it!

Prolog was the language I used for my diploma thesis, back in the wild 80's (last century, internet had not been invented). I coded nearly everything in Prolog, rule processors, expert systems, user-interfaces (a real nuisance in Prolog, believe me!) and a persistence engine... (yep: store things, back then you had to do it on your own). Great fun, unstable implementations on the first commercial Unix machines.

As a reminiscence to that "wild age" - Learn Prolog Now. Contains links to several implementations (too bad they omitted XGP, one of the fancy Mac versions).

Btw: Prolog is much more fun than the current WS-* debate...

1 comment:

markus.schacher said...

I entirely agree. I'm a Prolog programmer for more than 20 years now and our company is still doing it! And today, we are even earning money with it. For example, not only the UML Virtual Machine in our CASSANDRA system is entirely written in Prolog, but also the GUI of its model-level debugger and its OLE Automation to access CASE tool data. Without Prolog, it would have been impossible to craft this venture having our limited resources...