I found these set of rules fits to my personal style - so I'd like to summarize the basic ideas here
- First-time customers buy "what you know". Repeating customers buy "who you are".
- Know your customers: Make sure what you're offering is what they are willing to pay good money for.
- Give your customers more than they expect.
- Aim higher than you commit. Work better than you promised.
- The high road is a two-way street. There is seldom a need to work for a bad customer.
- Learn when to "no bid": When you and your customer are mismatched, don't take the work.
- Retrain yourself constantly. Learn a "big new thing" every year.
- Contributing is marketing (aah, see arc42 for one of my personal examples)
- Slow times come when you can least handle them. Same is valid for fast times.